Thursday, July 12, 2012

Todo lists are hard as hell to make - life gaming, app design and just wanting to learn backbone.js

In an effort to learn backbone.js and because I'm fascinated with todo lists, I've been noodeling on a todo list game for a couple of months. An hour here, an hour there. And, because I can't leave well enough alone, I want to turn the whole thing into a game.

What I've learned so far...

Building a "flow context" is really difficult

I have adult ADHD. Big whoop. I only say that to give you context for the next line of thinking. The idea of flow is really important to me. So I'm trying to take the ideas of context and lists and combine it with gaming to encourage myself to create a flow for getting things done. And that is really hard. How do you create a flow when you might have to interrupt it? Is flow the most important concept? Can I use a sort of meta game to control other projects?

Making life into a game isn't easy

I love gaming. MW3, BF3, Halo etc. Doing the bills and cleaning the garage aren't that fun. So, I'm working to bring that all together. And it's REALLY difficult to create a game that doesn't involve zombies and doesn't look like the matrix. How do you make a game out of your own life? And do it in such a way that helps you get shit done. With out getting bored with your own ideas 15 minutes after you reboot your server with the newest idea.

Eat your own cooking

My grandmother used to make chili and not eat it. So while we were crying because it was so spicy, she calmly went about her evening. You don't know if your cooking sucks unless you taste it yourself.

Everything is abstract UNTIL YOU LAUNCH. Until I started using my todo game, the whole thing was just an abstract pondering of data models and business logic. When I deployed the game, it changed EVERYTHING. All of a sudden, I knew exactly what didn't work and what need to be fixed. And, if you follow #leanstartup at all, it's really easy to prioritize and tweak cause you are using it! What you thought was important before you deployed, all of a sudden is completely irrelevant. It's kind of like building the house while you're living in it. The roof becomes REALLY important the moment it rains.

Posted via email from Color and Voice

No comments:

Post a Comment